Hattuşa, the capital of the Hittites is in Boğazkale District on the southwest of the city of Çorum. It is the heritage from Hittites, one of the oldest states of Anatolia. It is assumed as one of the important civilizations of Anatolia for introducing us the culture of the first Anatolian city states.
In 1986, Hattuşa was added in UNESCO’s World Heritage List. It had been a very important center for centuries in Anatolia as Hittite Empire’s capital.
The city was discovered by the French traveler Charles Texier in 1834 and when the excavations were finished in 1906, it was understood that the city was the capital of the Hittites who reigned from Anatolia to north Syria in 2000 BD.
Hattuşa, as an outdoor archeology museum today, consists of two areas named Down Town and Up Town.